30 April 2015

On line publication - opinion from NSW Writer's Centre


 "Unfortunately, the answer is it's up to individual competitions to define
what they see as "published". Many competitions do provide
guidelines, and just as many do not! But the Macquarie Dictionary
defines the word publish as "to issue to the public the works of (an
author)". I do believe I have heard of competitions defining
publication as the work being made available in any form, paid or
unpaid. So I would say, unless the author knows the specific
competition they want to enter and has confirmed how they define
"published", it would be better not to put the work online."

It's a good question but not one I would hesitate about. I see the
work as published if it appears online.

 Kind regards
 

 Kirsten

Kirsten Krauth

Editor - Newswrite magazine
NSW Writers' Centre
PO Box 1056
Rozelle NSW 2039

No comments:

Post a Comment