05 April 2015

MEETING OF THE 1st APRIL 2015




  
“If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.”           Peter Handke

Meeting 1st April 2015      
Present Wendy, Geoff, Cath, Jo, Di, Terry and Lynn

Word s of the Day
plethora  -  plentiful, excess
hyperbole - exaggerated, not to be taken literally
chicanery - trickery
shrive - cleanse, forgive
manslaughter – killing without malice
frigate - general purpose warship
circumspect – watchful, cautious, prudent
malevolent – wishing evil or harm

From these words came stories of intrigue, murder and mayhem, pirates, witches, politicians & childhood fears.

      
Homework  gem by Terry

The Washerwoman
It was around twenty years ago when I was in desperate need
That a good friend told me of some lass so therefore I agreed
It was somewhat embarrassing but I plucked up and forged ahead
Recognizing if I were seen, that harsh words could be said

She’s out in Parramatta mate, just near the old brick gaol
Not so easy getting there, if you have to go by rail
But you’re a businessman I know, and ain’t short of a golden dollar
Still just to make sure you’re not seen, I’d pull up your bloody collar

Her premises is only small, still, she don’t need a lot of room
Though the red light she has on at night, contributes to the gloom
I wouldn’t say she’s pretty, and her arse is pretty wide
And she has to work long hours, since that bloke of hers has died

But mate, she knows a lot of stuff, you’ll surely go away happy
And if you know just what you want, she’ll be pretty snappy
Just make sure your nuts are clean, or else you’ll make her shirty
‘cause she’s got pretty fussy since she reached the age of thirty
Well I gathered all the necessaries and headed off out west
I thought I’d find this person and put her to the test
Dark was fast approaching when I pulled up just outside
I sat and pondered what to do, just what do I decide

But as I thought of leaving a window curtain moved aside
Too late I thought as this dark haired lass beckoned me inside
I lifted up my collar and picked up an oil stained bag
And walked toward the darkened shop, it was more zig than zag

The lass opened up her door and asked “Can I be of help to you?”
“I really hope you can my dear, I’ve come to get a screw.
Well, actually, not just a screw, but other things that you provide
And it must be worthwhile coming, satisfaction can’t be denied

I followed her into a room, it was full of crannies and nooks
“Do you get a lot of customers, I suppose some just want to look”
“Well with what I’ve got to offer, I put a smile on every face
Most transactions go through smoothly, it’s my skills that most embrace

Now what is it that you most desire, and is it Whitworth or BA
And in just what material, on the phone you didn’t say
No worries ‘cause I’ve got the lot, nuts and bolts and screws
But I specialize in washers, they’re the easiest things to lose

I guess that’s why they call her, the Washerwoman, she’s the best
‘cause she’s got the biggest stock of washers, from Sydney to the West
In sizes, types and materials that would satisfy any bloke
So when you next go out to Parra, drop in and have a poke…around 
                                                                       
Terry McLafferty

Exercise for the day was to write a short story beginning with The last time I saw Charlie
From this came stories of a comedian, actor, prince, banker, a flatmate, monkey and a dog.


Homework for next week

Write a story of 750 words or less inspired by the photo of keys.  The original photo shown by Terry to the group was a set of various keys with a USB memory stick attached that had been lost, found or thrown away on a road. 
 






                                     
Lunch

12 noon  on  the 21st April  at the  Pelican  St Georges Basin .  Meals can be pre booked  see  Wendy.

No comments:

Post a Comment